Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Corner of W. 36th and W. 36th?

Dear Eugene, Oregon -

I must say I really like your landscape. All the trees are very impressive. I love the parks and paths to run, walk, hike or bike are excellent. But who thought up your system of roads? I took a short walk down my street today and ended up at a small four way intersection. The signs in one corner said 36th and 36th and the other corner said 38th and Monroe. Very interesting, I do say. But very confusing too. I don't understand your system. Why does one straight road suddenly become another? And yet other roads turn corners and stay the same road? Why must we circle around 270 degrees or more when exiting the freeway? This gets my brain quite confused. A simple exit off to one side would seem sufficient. Is it supposed to be artistic?

Maybe your plan is to confuse anyone who doesn't live here. If they can't find what they want then they'll leave. Or maybe you're plan is to trap people in your maze of streets, leave them dizzy and tired and thus they never leave. Is that it?

I have a feeling you will not tell me but I thought I would ask just in case.

No comments: